Summer = busy and tiring.
BUT I'M LOVING IT!!!!!!!
The past two weeks have been crazy and Lucy and I have had so much fun.
Between a derecho (what tha!?), travels with both families, a play date...... we've been going, going, going!
I am going to split each into a post because that'll give me more posts to post, ya know!?
Let's start with the derecho.
Then we'll go to July 4th with the Fleishers.
A weekend with the Robinsons (and Lucy's Grandpa's bday)
and finally a play date :)
Ok so the derecho... never heard of it? ME EITHER!!!
But we experienced it and whoa baby did it hit hard. Let me start by defining what the heck a derecho is! Wikipedia says it is, "a widespread, long-lived, strait-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms; their wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force. A warm-weather phenomenon, occurs mostly in summer within areas of moderately strong instability" (atmosphere/heat).
![]() |
| not the one in RIC obvi, but to give you an idea of what one looks like. |
In lay men's terms, it happens when it's 1,000 degrees, too humid, and occurs around a hurricane. and the wind is strong and the thunder is loud and you'll lose power and shit will get damaged.
Seriously.
If something like that was following me, you guys, I would crap my pants. But something like that happened to us!
It was night time and so we couldn't see it - which was probably a good thing! Lucy was already in bed when it got bad and I was waiting for Mark to get home from being at the baseball fields (no, as a matter of fact, they didn't stop the game!!!!!) and he got stuck coming home on 95 by an ENTIRE TREE down over the highway!! It was scary being here with Lucy by myself and I think I would have been fine had my husband and father-in-law stopped calling and telling me to get Lucy to cover...
The lights kept flickering and my phone was dying and Mark was stuck and my sister was alone and her dog was freaking and her phone was dying and her power was OUT... it all seems so much worse when you're by yourself - with a baby. Once Mark was home I was fine and we slept (not peacefully for all that dang thunder!) That was Friday.
We didn't lose power until Saturday (while I was out grocery shopping, no less - happened last year before Irene, too...) and got it back Sunday night (thank the Lord! I wouldn't have survived another 5 days like last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
| omg sass |
Lucy and I went shopping Saturday and that's when we lost power - I got home and Mark was napping and we had no power and he had no idea... geez.
So, we took our groceries to Mark's parent's house.
Saturday night we had a birthday party to go to so we went. We got power right as we were leaving but another storm was coming!
So fun at the pool party, though! :) it was cut short by the storm, but it was fun anyway.
While we were gone the power went out again... anddd we had a tree almost hit our house. But it missed by thaaaaat much. We spent Saturday night in the house as the temp was ok with the windows open. But we couldn't have spent another night - Lucy slept ok but she was uncomfortable. I know this because I'm her mama...
| trees down, houses destroyed, power out, damage was done! except to Lucy's pool toys which didn't move through the entire storms!!!!!!!!!!!!! |
Sunday, Lucy and I spent the day with Uncle Chris and Aunt Mal :) and Bauer of course!
And Sunday night when Mark got home from his game (yea, didn't cancel the tourney...) he stopped by our house and called me with the news that THE POWER WAS ONNNNNN!!!!!!!
So, I guess that's that.
Up next is the 4th of July!

No comments:
Post a Comment