Monday, July 28, 2014

Gage 1 month

Wow, hello.
It's been some time.
Between going back to school, having two babies, applying for new jobs, interviewing, not getting jobs, baseball, and then all of a sudden summer!!!! - I'm busy!
However, I do want to keep up with this thing because I like to look back at Lucy's life and I want to have that with Gage, too.

Things have gone undocumented in the last few months - good thing we're not that interesting :) basically it's just day-in and day-out stuff. But there are a few things I missed since Gage was born!
So, I will start slowly.

Let's see, we left off with Gage's birth story so I will start up again with Gage getting sick.

About a week after he was born we started to notice him "spitting up" quite a bit of bottle at each feeding. We voiced our concerns at an appt (for something unrelated) with the ped and he suggested a different formula.
At his two week appt, Gage had gained a pound. He weighed 9lb. 11oz.
But, he continued to "spit up" - so much that he was basically throwing up the entirety of his bottles. We were back and forth from the ped until he was one month old. When he only weighed 9lbs. 4 oz. at his one month appt (but was 23"!) and obv was losing weight and not just not gaining, the doc ordered some tests.

We had an appt for his one month on a Friday and on the next Monday had an appt for an ultra sound to check for something called pyloric stenosis. Ultra sound was normal so we went back to the ped on Wednesday and it was then that he admitted us into the hospital for observation.
I have to admit, the whole time this was happening I was taking it step-by-step and just rolling with the punches, but when Dr. Wiley told us we were heading to the hospital I have to say, I was a bit freaked out. We were in the hospital until that Friday - the end of February. We were only there for observation so nothing was really done except a urine sample (normal), some blood work, and he had an IV just in case.

After our hospital stay he got better on his own. He was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" but nothing came of any of the tests they ran. He just had an immature digestive system. I can tell you this much, he's not failing to thrive anymore!!

Meanwhile, Lucy enjoyed cuddling her brother, drawing legit people, and acquired her very special lovie, Lucy Bear (yes, creative naming is not her forte), and we all TRIED to adjust to a new life.













The day we went to the hospital...






Just seeing this picture and how small he had gotten makes me so, so sad. I'm so glad he's the big boy he is now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment