Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gage-y Baby

Here's our first little angel's recap if you wanted to take a walk down memory lane
Lucy Evelyn

Boy do we love her, but this blog is all about my new main man!
Gage Steven

don't mind the bra and lazy eye...

Due date: Friday, January 17, 2014.
I worked all the way up to my due date; when I went home that day I felt an immense sense of accomplishment. I also felt like I was completely ready for the baby to come. and completely exhausted.
I had a dr. appt right after school and was at 3 cm which was progression and we scheduled a stress test and an ultra sound for Monday to make sure I wasn't oligo like with Lucy. I was hoping to schedule an induction but my doc was sorta like, "you're good so why?" Insert the face of a woman who wanted to fall out. BUT Mom was in town to watch Lucy that evening because Mark and I were going out for our anniversary dinner - melting pot YUM and a glass of red wine.

Saturday we had our Big Sister Day with Luc and Sunday Mark worked all. day. I was really, really hurting by Sunday evening - my hips especially.

Monday we were reallyyyyyy hoping that what happened with Lucy would happen - we'd go in for an appointment and get admitted. We loaded up our suit cases, stopped for a special lunch with Lucy at McDs, dropped L with nana and headed to the appt.
The non-stress test was great, I was great, everything was great so that was that. No ultrasound because we were going to schedule an induction as my doc knows I make big babies. They mentioned an induction before Friday and I said how 'bout now and my doc said how 'bout tomorrow when I work? I said done. 6AM induction, January 21. Boom.
Disappointed, we headed home but were excited to see Lucy one more time.

I didn't sleep. Got some bad contractions at 12:30ish and was up til 3. Alarm went off at 4:30 so Mark and I rose bright and early, showered, got some McyD's and headed in. I was really, really nervous (unnecessarily so as all I was nervous for came and went easily) so I turned on Elliot in the morning. Love him and got my mind off the anticipation.

When we got there things were pretty fast - seriously. They started the pitocin at 6:45 and then we waited. I was at a 4 and about 90% so I was pretty far along already. They broke my water around 8 and I def started to feel the contractions then!

Around 9 I told them to get the anesthesiologist in asap as I knew I wouldn't last much longer. They started to clear my IV and sent for him. He got in around 10ish finally! and I was feeling much MUCH better by 1030. I was about a 5 then.


I tried to get some sleep but it's really hard with nurses in and out, but I definitely rested. My nurse went to lunch around 11:45 (actually, the same nurse we had with Lucy!!! Ginny - so great!) and then Mark left for a bit to eat too. When the nurse came back in at around 12:15 I told her I had some really painful pressure in back and she said that was good - I was ready to push.
WHAT!? So I texted Mark who didn't have his phone, of course. So I texted Mom to find him at 12:30. I was in a fair amount of pain so I pushed my epidural button to administer some more - however it didn't work and then boom it was time!
Mark came back in and I pretty much immediately started pushing.
Ouch.

I couldn't feel everything but I could feel. and it wasn't pleasant. I pushed twice and the head was there, then I told Mark it hurt too bad so my doc gave me a local so she could give me an episiotomy and I pushed (painfully still) twice more to get the baby's head out, made sure with Mark that the baby looked ok, said something along the lines of, "people who do this naturally are effing crazy" to which my doctor replied, "I agree" ha! and then painfully pushed once or twice more and at exactly 1PM Gage Steven came into the world - all 8lbs 11oz and 21 3/4 in. of him!!!!!!!!




I can not even begin to describe the feeling either of us felt. I was in shock - like no emotion shock - still can't believe he's a boy... - and Mark could. not. get. ahold of himself. We hung out for a while, the three of us but I was really, really anxious to get Lucy in.
After I was cleaned up and Gage was content, Mark went out to get Luc. He called her out of the waiting room and had her announce to everyone that "Gage is here!" and he lost it again.
When Lucy and Mark came back in I was ecstatic to see her and she was very taken by her baby brother.
After we had a visit with just Lucy, we let the sisters and the moms come in. Then the dads and then we were very quickly transferred to the mom and baby room.



It was so much faster than our experience with Lucy. Everything was almost like fast forward! But we are so thrilled with this little boy. He's just the absolute cutest thing I've ever seen - other than his big sister of course!! We are so happy and so lucky and so blessed.




Now shit gets real.
 I'd like to go ahead and personally welcome myself to the life of beginning to get ready to leave the house 3 hours before it actually happens.....




2 comments:

  1. I love this post - thanks for sharing. He is so, so cute and your family is perfect! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited for you!!! He is beautiful and your family is just lovely. I hope life with two is not TOO crazy :)

    Are you feeling well?

    ReplyDelete