And I'm going to go into detail. So, I hope you're curious!
It all started with an appointment at the OB for a stress test and an ultrasound! Tuesday, May 31, 2011 we had an appointment at 10:45. We started out at the ultrasound and the lady was really optimistic that we would be welcoming a baby SOON. She said that it was about 8 lbs 2 oz and looked really good. But, I was oligo which means that the amniotic fluid was low. No alarm was in her voice so we paid no attention; we headed over to see the doctor.
When we were brought back for the appointment and were under the impression I would be getting a stress test to make sure all was well and that they would probably examine me to see if I had progressed at all. When we were brought back to the office the nurse asked all the same questions she always asked: swelling, nausea, vomiting etc. Then she asked if the car seat was in the car, we said yes that the deputy checked it out and approved. Then she asked if the suitcase was in the car - I said no and she asked if my suitcase was packed, I said yes mostly - just a few odds and ends to add like hair stuff and toothbrush and tooth paste. As she left the room she said not to get undressed as she wasn't sure if the doc was going to check me out or not. So Mark and I sat in waiting for the doc to come in. We chatted about a few things we wanted to get done that day. Then the doc came in and said, "It's Baby day!"
Mark and I must have given her quite the look. She continued talking and telling us that when we get over there they will check us in ... blah blah blah. Then she stopped and said, "wait, you two do know that you're heading over to Labor and Delivery, right?" OMG NO! we were clearly not informed!!!! So she discussed a little about what was going to go on but I know I wasn't paying attention and I'm sure Mark was out of it so I have no idea what she was saying. All I know is they chose to induce me because of the oligo. So, then we were shuffled out of the exam room and handed off to a nurse who walked us down to L&D. She was trying to make conversation with us and all we could focus on was texting and calling family and Mark was cancelling lessons... insane.
They checked me in - two hours it took them to ask me questions and get a bunch of medical info, etc. So, around 1PM they gave me Cervidil - a drug to help efface me as I was only 20%. I was still only 1 cm, too. For 12 hours the Cervidil was working hard so that they could give me Pitocin at 1AM. I sat there all day just to let that stuff work - I think they should have let me go for the day because I was bored and they wouldn't let me eat!!! But, during that time my mom arrived and Mark's mom and sis stopped by to keep me company as Mark had to go get my suitcase and take care of a few things that we didn't do because we didn't know we were going to be admitted that day!! Mark got back around 6PM with my McDonalds and all was right in the world. We hung out and watched movies and I got in about an hour nap.
By 1AM I was right on schedule - about 75-80% effaced so they went ahead and administered the Pitocin. Oh. man. Within the hour I started feeling contractions. Not too bad, though. At around 3ish the nurse came in and asked my pain level, I was at like a 4/5 so we talked about the drug they give instead of an epidural - it doesn't get rid of the pain but dulls it. It is a narcotic. Yes, yes it was. They gave that stuff to me and I swear I was out. of. it!!!! When the nurse came in to see if it took I told her that I was kind of feeling odd and she said it was normal. Well, this light-weight was literally on druggs!!! Oh man.
The only thing about that drug is it only lasts for around an hour and a half. So, around 4:30ish the nurse came back in and I said I was at about a 6 pain level and could we do the narcotic again before we do the epidural. She said ok and put more in. Ten minutes later she came in to see if it took - nope. So, she said let's wait a few more minutes ... well, my 6 pain level was only getting worse. I was still pretty messed up from that first dose and I'm not sure exactly what was going on but it took a little while to get the anesthesiologist in and he didn't show up til 6:30. So, for that time I was in PAIN. I was shivering, convulsing really, but I wasn't cold. I was sweating actually. I thought I was going to die. I actually remember looking at Mark and telling him I didn't think I could go through one more. When the anesthesiologist came in I paid no attention to him, and people were telling me to breath and stop shivering and I couldn't figure out how to do one and not the other!!! I was fed up - just give me the damn drug!!! Finally, as the anesthesiologist pricked me, he told me that it would feel like a bee sting. I nearly started crying and said, "but I've never been stung by a bee" :( Didn't care at that point - dude, do what you need to do because I was about to die!!! As the guy left I said thank you and he commented that it wasn't the first time he's been in and out of a room and been ignored. haha poor guy.
Epidurals are amazing. I don't know if I feel admiration for people who give birth without an epi or if I feel like they are the dumbest human beings on earth. Probably the latter.
Mark and I were able to hang out for the rest of the morning and we both slept just a little bit. My water broke naturally (I thought I peed my pants and had Mark get the nurse to check that I didn't!!!) Our family dropped in and out during the morning and around 11AM on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 we were told that I was going to start pushing soon so to prepare myself. I was about 9 cm dilated and fully effaced. Mark started to sweat a little at this point. He had to excuse himself to the bathroom and splash a little cold water on his face :)
Around 12PM I started pushing. It was the weirdest thing ever. I was so numb that I didn't even feel like I was pushing; just felt like I was making a weird face - like I was faking it. I was in pain - Lucy was sitting right on my rear and it hurt!!! So, they gave me a little dose of the epidural to help me finish up. At 1:12PM Lucy came on out. I was crying before she even came out. The anticipation was killing me and I was exhausted and overwhelmed that we were about to meet our son or daughter. I just wanted to get it out and see it!!!
When they announced, "it's a girl!!!" I just bawled.
She was so, so, so pretty. I could have died right then and there. Even her cry was sweet! I remember thinking that if she cried like that I wouldn't even care!! I also kept looking at Mark and asking if he was happy and asking if he loved her... hey, I had about a million different drugs in my system, I had about 2 hours of sleep and hadn't showered for about two days! So, yes, weird questions but I wanted to make sure he was ok with a girl!!!
perfect little angel
exhausted, but happy family

"Could I be any cuter????"
I do remember him just smiling so big. He cut the cord and they took her to check her out. When they were done wrapping her up and putting the adorable hat on her, they handed her to Mark. This was when he got a little choked up. I died. He was so, so naturally amazing with her.
just like daddy :)

What an amazing day :) We feel so blessed and happy. Lucy is absolutely perfect and we couldn't ask for a more beautiful little angel.

5 days old and more beautiful every day
Great story, Great pictures, Wonderful family, ADORABLE Lucy!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story. I love every detail! She is beautiful! Congrats :)
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteLOVE the story! I read it as I was giving my first period kids their final and I cried a little!!! She is so beautiful and I am so very happy for you and Mark. What a blessing to you both! I showed my 10th graders the picture that you texted me and all of the girls just fawned over her!! I can't wait to meet her and I hope you are soaking in every moment!!
Kelly
Great little story you wrote there. Knowing you both i can just see you both as you painted the picture of a time you will NEVER forget. The last photo (5days old...) is a great picture of her all dressed up.
ReplyDeleteEmily,
ReplyDeleteShe is adorable. I'm sorry that you went through such a hard time delivering her. She was definately worth it though. The pictures are the best.
And just so you know, labor without pitocin is a lot easier to manage. I know. I've done both. You can manage it with some tricks and positioning.
Theresa
She is so beautiful!
ReplyDelete