Sunday, September 26, 2010

Real-life Animal Farm

I've been composing this list for a while now.  One day this summer, Rocky looked at me and it was as if he was speaking to me through his eyes.  This was right after I read Ishmael which is an amazing novel about a gorilla who is a teacher, but doesn't communicate with words but with his expressions.

I sometimes feel like Rocky is becoming more human than animal.  So, I started this list of all the human things my dog does on a regular basis.
  • He gives me a kiss when I put out his breakfast and his dinner.  Every time.
  • He "sits like a man" as Mark and I call it.  If he didn't have such long upper legs, he'd be sitting just how a human sits.  It's especially weird in the car; I want to buckle him up sometimes.
  • He knows very-well when he is in trouble.  Before he is in trouble.  He gets ashamed of himself, and we can see it all through his body. 
  • He smiles.
  • He frowns.
  • He knows what we want him to do, doesn't always do it, but he understands what we are saying to him.  Everything we say to him.  
  • He loves popcorn.
  • He watches TV with us.  Not just Mark's silly hunting shows either; he really likes Lie to me* :)
  • He wipes after going number 2
  • He picks favorites
  • He is an amazing listener.  It's almost like he knows exactly how we are feeling and feels it with us.  His eyes are forgiving, empathetic, and comforting.
  • He sleeps on a bed. With a pillow.
Anyone else feel like they're in the twilight zone?

Gotta go, Rocky just told me he has to pee :)


No comments:

Post a Comment