February 1, 2012.
70* outside and sunny
it was beautiful
I made sure to get home and take my baby girl out on a walk. She absolutely loves going on walks. She was fussy from a short nap and as I was strapping her into the stroller she was not having it but once we started walking and my music was on, she was quiet as a mouse and just as content looking around as she could be.
I absolutely love where we live. I love the neighborhood. I love that it has little side streets and cul-de-sacs that just appear out of nowhere and continue on for what seems like forever. This may not be our forever house, but it is our first house and is so special because of that. We have had a lot happen to us in this house and we will forever love it.
As Lucy and I walked on, people had their garage doors open, some even had their front doors open enjoying the lovely day. People were everywhere. There were couples and friends out on walks and for the first time in what seems like a long time, I noticed that there were a lot of kids out playing in the streets.
It was a surprise to me in the days of video games. I rarely see kids outside anymore and we are a neighborhood with a lot of kids. I remember playing outside until the dark of night. We would have chalk neighborhoods on our driveway and in our cul-de-sac. We would make up games and play basketball and kickball and house and we'd bike ride and stay out til late in the summer playing kick-the-can, "OLLY OLLY OXENFREE!"
It's sad that kids these days are glued to a TV or video game all hours of the day. And it's sad, as a parent, that I don't entirely feel safe sending my kids out to play with all the crazies out there!!!
As Lucy and I walked the boys who were throwing the football paused for us to pass an they talked to each other, "don't hit the baby." "watch the ladies." one of them even said, "hi, ma'am" to me.
I want my babies to grow up in a neighborhood where we can let them out to play in the street. I want them to play outside. I want to allow them time to get "exercise" and fresh air! and to use their own imaginations to entertain themselves.
I am looking forward to spring and am promising myself to get out and walk with Lucy. Not because I need or even want the exercise, but because I love my neighborhood and Lucy loves being outside and if one day I'm going to make my kids go outside to play, I need to lead by example and pry my lazy butt out of the house from time-to-time, too.
It was a surprise to me in the days of video games. I rarely see kids outside anymore and we are a neighborhood with a lot of kids. I remember playing outside until the dark of night. We would have chalk neighborhoods on our driveway and in our cul-de-sac. We would make up games and play basketball and kickball and house and we'd bike ride and stay out til late in the summer playing kick-the-can, "OLLY OLLY OXENFREE!"
It's sad that kids these days are glued to a TV or video game all hours of the day. And it's sad, as a parent, that I don't entirely feel safe sending my kids out to play with all the crazies out there!!!
As Lucy and I walked the boys who were throwing the football paused for us to pass an they talked to each other, "don't hit the baby." "watch the ladies." one of them even said, "hi, ma'am" to me.
I want my babies to grow up in a neighborhood where we can let them out to play in the street. I want them to play outside. I want to allow them time to get "exercise" and fresh air! and to use their own imaginations to entertain themselves.
I am looking forward to spring and am promising myself to get out and walk with Lucy. Not because I need or even want the exercise, but because I love my neighborhood and Lucy loves being outside and if one day I'm going to make my kids go outside to play, I need to lead by example and pry my lazy butt out of the house from time-to-time, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment