Wednesday, June 6, 2012

1 year stats

I don't suppose I have to tell you that she's big.
But, she is.


I consider us really lucky.  I absolutely love our pediatrician, Dr. Wiley.  I know a lot of people who had a hard time finding one.  Know several ladies who went through two or three before they found one they liked.  But, Dr. Wiley really knows what he's doing and he treats me, as a new mom, Mark and Lucy so delicately.  I know I ask stupid questions sometimes and he answers them well and he sincerely. It's amazing what a comfort a simple answer can be when it's said with a sincere tone.  I just love him.
And it's really fun that he was Mark's doctor, too ;) So if I wanted to, I could get a lot of dirt on him.
But I won't.

Lucy has been a hit since we started going to Wiley's office one year ago.  Today was no different.  Especially with her blowing kisses, waving and walking all over - and talking!  Lord, my child is loud.  

She was not in the mood to sit still and get measured today, but she did a good job.  She sat still for just that and then was all like, "I'm done, get me outta here."  

Stats:
28.1 lbs
32 1/2 in.


After the nurse left, Lucy wanted out.  She kept going to the door while we waited for Dr. Wiley and trying to open it!  So, we she read some books and walked around nakie for a bit.  When Dr. Wiley came in, he was so surprised!  He kept saying how different she looked to him.  She acted shy, but then chatted and squirmed when he was checking her out.  (She's perfect, by the way).  He asked tons of questions, all of which Lucy checks out right on target or a little ahead - 11 teeth!  walking!  talking!  Identifying what a doggie says :) Such a smart babe.

Things I learned: we can start on whole milk.  I'm going to start her out on 1/2 and 1/2 (formula/milk) to begin with just because we have a bit of formula left.  No more bottle.  All sippies from now on.  So, I'll start to ween slowly :( no bottle = no baby any more!  Mama needs to take a deep breath and do it at my own pace!  I'm not ready!
He told me that if she refuses something for dinner, that's it.  Don't supplement with another food because then she'll be making her own decisions.  Good point.
He warned that she'll start temper-tantrums around 15 months.  Say wha!?  
Um, we've already experienced some?  
Oh!  Well, that's ok!  
HA!
I know he was thinking, "holy shit, you're in for it."  and it's ok, doc, I know.  
Lastly, she'll start saying words around 15 months and two word groups around 18.  So, we'll see.  I am not too worried about all that just yet.  You know, cuz I still want her to be 8 lbs and all...


After Wiley left, the nurse came back in and shot Lucy :( once in each arm.  She was so, so sad.  And truthfully, was sad all evening!  I felt so bad for her!!  She was very cuddly.  Poor little peach.

When I put her down this evening I could tell she was exhausted.  It's very tiring getting shot :(
I thought she was good and gone and put her down in her crib.  I shut the door and she started screaming.  Now, I usually let her cry because it only lasts for about a minute when she realizes that mama ain't playin' and it's time to go to bed.  But tonight was different.  I would have let her cry it out, but since she got shot, I went back in.  I haven't gone back in for a very, very, very long time.  

I picked her up and cuddled her.  She took Ducky with her.  We sat in her rocker - because I can't hold her  for long anymore!  She's nearly 30lbs, y'all!!  When we sat down she wanted to be cradled.  She's 32 1/2 in. long so it's hard to cradle her.  But, I did it.  It was so special to sit there and rock with her - she usually doesn't let me rock as she is too fidgety.
It made my day- week- month to sit there with her and cuddle and relax.  She finally fell asleep clinging to Ducky and I sat there for a while longer, clinging to her.  Clinging to the tiny thing she was just a year ago today. Clinging to the nostalgia of a 3AM feeding last summer.  Watching her fight sleep as she's always fought sleep. Since she was born.  A year ago.

I was doing really well with this whole, your kid is one, thing.  Until tonight.  As I rocked her and looked at her toddler face, I couldn't help but picture her sweet, sweet, tiny, newborn face - receding hair line and all! - from last year.  And my heart dropped.  I was fine until tonight, and tonight I let myself cry.

Then I kissed her sweet face, and put her in her crib, and she turned over on her belly, and she cuddled Ducky, and she kicked off the covers and she stuck her little rear in the air and I felt better.  
She has a way of making everything ok.  

It's that cute little tush, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Time really does fly with these little munchkins. She's adorable, Emily! Off to the next year :)

    ReplyDelete