
June 1, 2012
My Sweet Lucy Evelyn,
Today you turn one. I am a mix of emotions. It's hard to tell you what I want to tell you in a letter, sometimes showing you is easier, but I will try.
I just can't believe that a year ago today, you were coming into our world; joining our family. What an amazing day. We had absolutely no idea who you would be - or what! I could not be more thankful for the sweet baby you have turned into.
Every day you do something new, but I know your favorite things to do: you love to kiss, did you know that? When you know you've done something wrong, and you love to kiss your friends at day care. You have such a kind heart. You have started to put your hand over your mouth when you fake cry. To add to the drama. You like to make yourself laugh. You are quite funny. You love to organize and simply place things where you think they need to be. You know how to get into your Boppy pillow for your bottle before your naps and at bedtime. Sometimes that's your signal that you are ready for your bottle and tired so I listen to you. You are so smart.
You are just the most beautiful thing I ever EVER did see. It absolutely overwhelms me every time I look at you. Literally every time. I can't believe you are actually mine. Ours. We are so happy; we are so lucky; it knocks me dead.
My mixed emotions consist of about a million different things: elation that you are a healthy, HAPPY, sweet girl. Luck because Daddy and I think you are the most amazing kid out there. I keep saying it but we are so, so lucky. I feel sadness at the end of a whole year. A whole year. I know we have so many to come and I absolutely can not wait to share them with you but I will always miss everything about your "baby" stage. Everything. And I feel deep anticipation for the years and experiences we have yet to come with you. I know everything with you will be fun.
One day you will be a big girl. Just typing that makes me take a deep, deep breath. It makes me swallow hard. And it makes Mommy cry. When that day, the day when you are a big girl arrives, I just really hope for you all the best things this world has to offer. I hope you have opportunities that allow you to express yourself and be the spunky, sassy, intelligent, beautiful, well-rounded girl I know you will always be.
I guess Mommy will have to tackle another year of watching you. It hurts my heart that it is going by so quickly but I absolutely love to watch you grow.
You are so loved. I hope you never, ever forget that.
Love forever and ever,
Mommy
Happy Birthday, Lucy! Times sure does fly.
ReplyDeleteAwe! What a sweet letter!! I love the part about covering her mouth for her fake cry. That is too funny! Ha! Time really does pass too quickly!!
ReplyDelete