Sunday, January 23, 2011

Big Birthday

My baby brother is 20 today.  We no longer have a teen in the family.  It's sad really.  I wonder how my mom is really taking it... Dad said it's liberating :)

I would like to take a few minutes of your time to tell you a few things about this cute guy when he was little.


Boy oh boy was he the cutest thing we'd ever seen.  Ever.  Cuter even than he is now!  And I think you'd agree, he's pretty cute now, right!?

How independent he was.  I mean the poor thing grew up with three mothers (sorry, kid), the only boy and Mal and I are a little older than him.  So, he kept himself busy a lot of the time.  He was entertaining, too!  Matchbox cars, Lego's, and more really cool toys that we never had because we were girls!  We actually played with him a lot.  More like we took over.  Again, poor kid.

He had white, feathery hair that we parted to the side after every bath but when it dried, no fail, it laid in a perfect bowl cut.

Once Mom caught him eating a raw potato straight from the fridge.  When she asked him what he was doing he announced, "It's dood, I wuv it."  Did you just die?  I did.

Once Mallory and I dressed him up in a dress, little white shoes and headband.  Dad was NOT happy.  But Greg smiled for a picture and he was the prettiest boy in the world!

He used to have a "juice bottle".  I'm pretty sure he drank soda out of it.

When he was a baby, before he could talk, when he wanted us all to do something he'd grunt.  Not an annoying grunt, more of like an, "uh" in a baby voice.  But it was an urging "uh".  Especially at dinner time when he wanted us all to take a drink at the same time that he took a drink.  We'd all hear "uh" and we picked up our glasses and took a drink.  No questions.

He played t-ball and it sucked, he played soccer and it sucked, he played basketball and it sucked, he played EVERYTHING and watching those loooong, drawn-out games being played by little boys was painful.  But those little boys were too damn cute to be too annoyed.  G loved sports and was pretty talented at them all!  What an athlete.  I'm actually picturing him right now, about 4 years old, in a blue soccer uniform and the pack of little boys just followed the ball around the whole time.

When he was little he used to start out stories like, "Do you remember when I was little?"  or "Do you remember that one time when I was like three" annnnd he was like four when he was telling the story.  So cute.

He smelled like Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo.


Today he put his arm around me and I noticed he had to lean down.  I used to hold this kid.  I still want to to hold this kid.

But he's 6'5" now.

It's not fair.

He'll be an uncle; one of only two that my children will have.  Uncle Greg.


Nevertheless, tonight I'm going to dream about this face, the one that smells like Johnson & Johnson.  The one I still see when I close my eyes and think of my baby brother.

(did you just die again? I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment