Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Buddy Cont'd

Just a quick update on the "things" previously mentioned in my first post on Rocky.

After having a discussion with Mark about our poor boy, I am understanding more of a lay man's explanation of what is going on...

Rocky's kidneys were (for lack of a better word) attacked first, so we quickly took action with the pills and new food.  His kidney's levels are now up as of Friday's blood tests.  That's the improvement!  Last blood work levels for kidneys: 117.  Normal level: 30.  This time: 60.

But, like I said, there was a toxicity level that had gotten worse.  That is the toxins in his liver.  Great, I don't even know what a freakin liver doesss!!!  Mark called it a 'filter' so I'll use that term.  Normal: 2.5.  Rocky: 1.2.  So, it got worse.  Not good.

This is the reason for the new blood pressure medicine.  What happened?  The kidneys are gaining back their normalcy and are supposed to be making their own protein which helps the liver function correctly.  Rocky's have not yet which resulted in his high blood pressure.  So, we need to get the blood pressure to go down or he will start to retain fluid somehow and here's where I'm lost.  Bottom line: fluid = swelling and swelling = bad!  That 1.2 needs to go back up to normal.  Three more weeks til more blood work.  No matter, I'll do this forever to keep that pup healthy!

Damn you, ticks.

**Also, for you loyal followers: No more bad news :) Tomorrow I'll update with a belly pic! :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment