Saturday, May 14, 2011

Holy cow only two more weeeeeeeeksssss

Throughout my pregnancy I have been reading this book:


It is great.  What to Expect When You're Expecting and books like that are great, but this book by Kaz Cooke is real.  Kaz is a Brit (which should tell you the book is hilariously inappropriate at times and very blunt) who tells about her own experience with her first pregnancy.  It is great to read exactly what another gal went through.

I read a little ahead so I know what to expect a week or two ahead of time.  As I was reading Week 39 there was a bit about breast feeding (keep in mind Kaz DID breastfeed, but she talks about everything from all perspectives) and I felt she covered my feelings perfectly.  In her excerpt for NOT BREASTFEEDING she says this:

If worst comes to worst and you can't breastfeed your baby or breastfeeding is just not for you, it's nowhere near the end of the world.  The way people go on about it, you'd think not breastfeeding was the equivalent of making the baby drink gin and wheeling it across freeways during blizzards in a war zone (amen, sister).  Plenty of bottle-fed babies grow up to be strapping, robust, healthy adults.  Look at the adults around you.  Look at the kids around you.  Can you tell who was bottle fed?  'Course you can't.  Many other factors affect a child's development and immune system, including the amount of chemicals in an environment, access to fresh and healthy food, and exposure and building up a resistance to germs.
It would be lovely if you could breastfeed, but you can't, or don't want to.  Instead you can enjoy the relaxed feeling of bottle-feeding your baby while making eye contact, and the freedom it gives you because you can always get somebody else to feed the baby if you'd like to go out for an hour or so and have an affair with a couple of random men.
Stuff to tell nosy people
"I have an illness controlled by medication, which musn't be passed through breast milk to my baby."
"Both my nipples blew off during a wind storm."
"It's easier to get the gin into a bottle."
"Both my boobs were removed years ago."
"I can't breastfeed and I don't want to talk about it.  Gosh."
"So far five lactation specialists have told me I'm one of those women who just shouldn't do it."
"Oh, just PISS OFF!"

I've really found a few things throughout this book that I feel like she is taking the words/thoughts right out of my mouth/brain.  It's been a fun read and I recommend it to any parent-to-be.  


So, I had my 38 week appointment...

Still no progress but we're ok with that.  Everything still looks great :) I'm glad about that.  Other than the painful tailbone and the numbness in the legs, my hips aching and my back hurting everything is fine.  NBD.  Seriously though, I just really want to make it through at least this week at school and then I'll be ok with whenever the baby comes. 

I think it'll be late, though. And that's ok too... but the sooner I can get my body back - the better!  For everyone involved.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to scream 'OH PISS OFFFF' (in an English accent) to anyone who gives me grief about not breastfeeding and I. CAN'T. WAITTTTTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sent that excerpt from the book to the hubby and a few others. I seriously laughed out loud - I'm definitely getting this book!

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I just came across your blog and this made me laugh. I need that book! Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck! P.S. love the baby's room, I've had a big thing for giraffes since finding out!

    ReplyDelete